2012年11月29日星期四

Are You Afraid to Opt-In?

I was communicating with a friend on Facebook today about networking and communicating with new people, and she told me she is always finding that people are afraid to opt-in for free information. This puzzles her so I thought I would dig in to this, because I have felt that fear myself.So what awful things do we think will happen if we give our information to opt-in?
Unwanted phone calls interrupting us
Massive amounts of email
Offers to buy things that will tempt us
The first one is my biggest fear, so I give my cell phone number when I opt-in. I leave my phone in the kitchen where I won't even hear it if I am asleep or "indisposed." I turn it off when in meetings. When I do hear it ring, I answer it (unless I am driving), but if it is a recorded message I hang up right away. I only talk to people, not computers! When I talk to a person, if they offer something I don't want I simply say "no" and ask that they not call again. If they do call again after I have asked them not to, I remind them that they are breaking the law.When I have asked for information, I do read the emails at least at first. Normally, I get an email from opt-in campaigns once a day or less. I can handle that, especially if they provide something of value. If it turns out to be all sales pitches and no valuable information, I opt-out. Remember that legally, they must always provide an opt-out method and it is usually quick and easy.This last one was tough for me when I was floundering in my business and not getting any (good) direction from my upline. I spent a bunch of money on things that didn't help me. Now that I have good direction, I don't spend money on these things. I might read emails or watch videos but it has to be free, because at the moment I am too busy with good free advice to bother paying anyone for it!Now, why should we be willing to opt-in? I personally believe we can all learn new things and we never "know it all." I believe there are no coincidences in life, so if something gets my attention I at least look into it. Technology changes daily and new websites pop up daily and there are some I just never knew were there that offer great value. I have already received priceless value from several programs I opted-in to. And even if the site turns out to be something I have no use for, it can often give me an idea to write about! If it is particularly obnoxious or scammy you can bet I will use that for a blog, article, or video! If I feel that way about it, other people do too. And some people may not have the training to recognize certain programs as illegal or unethical, so I like to point those out to save people some heartache.So don't be afraid to opt-in. Just hide your wallet and opt-out if there is no value!

没有评论:

发表评论